Monday, July 28, 2008

Uck

Job hunting, applications and interviews just sucks a big one. Some interactions go well, others are neutral and others? ha, lotsa luck, Clyde.

The type of work I do requires, if not outright bank wear, good slacks, hose, and the whole malarkey. Since I didn't want to spend the $65 to get the a.c. in my car recharged and it's 90 degrees with full sun and high humidity, by the time I got done fiddling with things I was feeling ill and dizzy. Tan khakis, knee highs, dress shoes, dress shirt, earrings, makeup, hair done and all and sundry were wilting like a flower in the desert.

One place I went, the person was wearing a tank-type thing with her boobs almost falling out, sandals and capris. Another place the lady was very pregnant, had on capris and a peasant blouse. I must be old-fashioned or something but I can't seem to get past wearing capris to work in an office.

I am really hoping to get a driving job so I don't have to do the whole dry-cleaning, ironing, makeup and so forth. Not again,please? Did my nails this morning, makeup an the whole bit. Now I remember why I hate it so much.

Finding good slacks that fit properly is a real pain in the behind, too. I can go from a size 14 at 8 am to a size 16 by 3. Don't know why but I suppose it has something to do with the Big M. Elastic waists don't work at all well. If the slacks are long enough, they are likely to look similar to jodhpurs. You know, all ballony around the butt and hips. I don't feel comfortable going around looking like the Dutch Boy paint kid.

People seem to want secretary-type people. I can type, yeah, use a 10-key and all but that isn't what I've done. If someone tests me on typing speed and accuracy, well... *sigh*

Maybe I will just keep trying to find a suitable telecommuting job.

6 comments:

Eileen said...

One of the guys I used to work with did not wear capris. He wore his jammies - and a robe. He used to get so caught up in his work he ended up sleeping on the lobby sofa for weeks on end. 'Not something I wanted to see any time of day, let alone first thing in the morning.

Good luck with the job hunt. Sucks, I know. I'm thinking about you.

dragonmom said...

Thanks, sweetie.

Uh, jammies and a robe? Whoa.

Eileen said...

Yeah. They were old man blue cotton jammies. The robe was navy blue terry cloth. And he wondered why (1) his wife divorced him, and (2) he couldn't get a date. Well, at least he had the sense not to tote around a teddy bear.

Anonymous said...

jammies to work!? where can I signup!

dragonmom said...

ROFL

Damn, woman, what a mind picture....

dragonmom said...

LOL

OK, kid, Eileen specifically states that you must have Old Man Cotton Jammies and a Blue Navy Terrycloth Robe.

Suggested accessories are a wife. (this might be a problem in your case.)

Teddys are not necessary. (that's unfortunate since you most likely have numerous teddys of one sort or another.)


Stop the Spying!

About Me

A hobby cook from the Midwest. Experiments, thoughts, new recipes, maybe even a photo or two... You noticed the pouting little girl with the words superimposed over her face? Growing up in the 60s and 70s the refrain of "there are starving children in [insert current poverty-stricken nation] that would love to have such... etc etc etc." I don't know that anyone actually believed all that but the image of a starving foreign child, holding out a bowl in hopes of being gifted with boiled tongue or green tomato pie, was pretty powerful. I do recall the kind of trouble kids would inevitably be in if they dared to say what most of us thought: "Well, then, send this stuff right on over to those poor, starving [insert country] kids." I don't usually post other people's photos, just my own. If you want to borrow or use one of my photos, I would appreciate your asking first. I usually don't mind but do hate having my work attributed to someone else. By the way, I found the photo of that pouting girl on the web with no attribution. If it's yours? We'll deal, ok? Thanks.
Powered By Blogger