Saturday, August 2, 2008

Carpet cleaning Day II

This is the s3econd day I have been working on the carpeting in this room. Earlier this summer I threw out the chair mat that had been in place for 4 years.

Ewwwwwwww. Off white bounded by greyish-tan uckyness.

So. There were 2 choices:

Remove the carpet.

Clean the carpet.

Choice #1 is much favored but, while DS3 and I could tear out the existing carpet, we probably would be well-advised to not try laying the laminate floor. Sure, Himself could certainly do it. Uh huh. The problem with that? He never, or rarely, finishes anything. We would almost certainly have a nekkid floor for an undetermined length of time. Or until I got so sick of it that I laid the floor myself* or hired someone to do it.

So I am in process with choice #2. And cleaning and cleaning and cleaning it some more. Right now I am taking a break because I put down more soap-stuff and I'm just waiting the prescribed time before going back over it again and sucking all the stuff up.

It's more likely than not that the sucked up stuff will still be black so I will put down more stuff and keep that up until it is, at worst, grey sucked-up ickys.

I despise carpeting. Really I do. It collects dirt and dust and stains and stinks and all kinds of vile crap that makes my allergies nigh to intolerable. That's why, last year and the year before that, we ripped out the bathroom carpet, hall carpet, living room carpet and all the stuff downstairs. During the process I had to leave the house entirely because the dust and yuck in the air was making me ill. Once all that was gone, replaced by laminate wood and tile, my allergies improved almost overnight.

Once we actually manage to get rid of the floor-gross in here and the bedroom I predict a real improvement in the allergies and sleep quality for both Himself and me.

Now, back to sucking vileness. Ta-ta!


* With help, of course. Most likely DIL and DS2.

No comments:


Stop the Spying!

About Me

A hobby cook from the Midwest. Experiments, thoughts, new recipes, maybe even a photo or two... You noticed the pouting little girl with the words superimposed over her face? Growing up in the 60s and 70s the refrain of "there are starving children in [insert current poverty-stricken nation] that would love to have such... etc etc etc." I don't know that anyone actually believed all that but the image of a starving foreign child, holding out a bowl in hopes of being gifted with boiled tongue or green tomato pie, was pretty powerful. I do recall the kind of trouble kids would inevitably be in if they dared to say what most of us thought: "Well, then, send this stuff right on over to those poor, starving [insert country] kids." I don't usually post other people's photos, just my own. If you want to borrow or use one of my photos, I would appreciate your asking first. I usually don't mind but do hate having my work attributed to someone else. By the way, I found the photo of that pouting girl on the web with no attribution. If it's yours? We'll deal, ok? Thanks.
Powered By Blogger