Thursday, July 31, 2008

Imaginary friends (work in progress)

I was moved today by the arrival of a package from Moray, Scotland, to think some about my "imaginary friends."

There is Elaine, from Toronto. Fast friends for 4 years now, via the internet. We were fortunate in that we had a chance to meet a year ago and spend 4 days gabbing and laughing, shopping and eating and laughing some more. Although our backgrounds are as different as they can be and she is some years older than I, we are, in some manner, kindred spirits.

There is Randy from Aquitaine (Chalabre, FR, actually.) An American, she was born and bred in LA, where she met her husband, Jean-Marc, a French-born copyright attorney. They returned to France in 2004. She is a darling and we have exchanged packages of goodies and various bits and pieces over the course of the last two years. This all courtesy of the internet.

Karen is also from France. A professional chef, she was born in South Africa, has lived in Singapore, Australia, the U.S. and has owned her own eatery in Crete. Now she and her husband, Malcolm, another attorney, live in maritime France and own a B&B. Here, too, thanks to the internet.

Eileen, who really isn't that far away. A woman with a will of iron and a heart of pure gold. She has a dark sense of humor that I understand and a curiosity and desire to "know" that far outreaches her physical self. Again, the internet.

Mick who is from upstate New York. Another member of the Cranky Old Broads Society. She makes me laugh and is always ready with good advice or just an ear. Yup, internet.

Michelle and Barb, one from Pennsylvania and the other from Georgia. What can I say about those two? They are completely off the wall. It's hard to tell just what they will come up with next but it's bound to be good. Internet.

There is Lindsay in Scotland and Joy in Wales. Intelligent, incredible women, one a chef, the other retired. Zurie from South Africa, Chrys from Australia... so far apart but so similar, sharing thoughts and troubles, frustrations and joys.

How would I have learned to make a killer cassoulet without these people? Who would make me laugh and cause me to cry as I look into a mirror that reflects my own feelings, doubts and experiences, as these far-flung people have? Who would I debate the pros and cons of Dr. Sultan's thesis on Islamic fundamentalism if not for them?

The Blue Nowhere is a dangerous, vast place and large as the human imagination... Out there, though, are friendships to be found that are as valuable as those experienced with face-to-face people. Other backgrounds, experiences, cultures can give a perspective on the human condition that can't be gained otherwise.

Maybe, hopefully, I will be honored to meet those "imaginary" friends scattered around the world. If that is not how it is to be, so be it. I will still call them friends.

5 comments:

Eileen said...

We're not imaginary. We're just a little less opaque than the rest :-)

dragonmom said...

LOL

No kidding!

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with eileen with the invisible comment. One big happy spread out family.

Eileen said...

In more ways than one :-) And you promised that we'd do the cabelas US tour when I'm well enough - so I'm holding you to it. Hey maybe we could do something like what Mark Malkoff did with Ikea (www.marklivesinikea.com) and convince cabelas to let us "camp out" in their stores. It could be great publicity for them - and a ton of fun for us. And yes, I'm serious. My servers are down AGAIN so no email for me - or blogging. Just FYI.

dragonmom said...

It's an interesting phenomenon.


You're down again? Geeze. I haven't forgotten the Cabela's tour, either. (your sister isn't coming, really, is she? please, no...);-P


Stop the Spying!

About Me

A hobby cook from the Midwest. Experiments, thoughts, new recipes, maybe even a photo or two... You noticed the pouting little girl with the words superimposed over her face? Growing up in the 60s and 70s the refrain of "there are starving children in [insert current poverty-stricken nation] that would love to have such... etc etc etc." I don't know that anyone actually believed all that but the image of a starving foreign child, holding out a bowl in hopes of being gifted with boiled tongue or green tomato pie, was pretty powerful. I do recall the kind of trouble kids would inevitably be in if they dared to say what most of us thought: "Well, then, send this stuff right on over to those poor, starving [insert country] kids." I don't usually post other people's photos, just my own. If you want to borrow or use one of my photos, I would appreciate your asking first. I usually don't mind but do hate having my work attributed to someone else. By the way, I found the photo of that pouting girl on the web with no attribution. If it's yours? We'll deal, ok? Thanks.
Powered By Blogger