Friday, August 29, 2008

A little bit about a lot of things

and not very much about anything.

I have this stupid bathrobe. It's blue gingham and is about the ugliest thing this side of a warthog. I also has lace. Ugh. Anyone who knows me, even slightly, knows that I am not a gingham- and lace-type person. It's a Grandma Bathrobe for someone with blue hair who likes pink and has a fluffy white dog. I have this stupid bathrobe because, after looking and looking and looking, I couldn't find one single solitary decent cotton, lightweight PLAIN bathrobe anywhere.* It also sports a 6 inch tear down the right side seam over my hip. This comes from me walking around with my fists stuck in my pockets. That will lead to needles and thread and general hilarity at my inability to either thread or hold a sewing needle.

Also have a nasty sinus infection. With the bizarre weather, the damp, the rain and all that, allergies have been bad for everyone. For those of us who are allergic to mold and mildew it has been just miserable. Have been putting off a trip to the doc because she will give me some monster antibiotic that does bad things to the gastrointestinal tract. We live with that simply because the monster stuff is the only thing that begins to touch the infection. The ones I seem to have the worst problem with are the ethmoid and sphenoid, the small ones back in the skull. Clearing infections in the others aren't too hard because they drain more readily. Those hidden ones don't clear so easily, though. A friend has the same problem and she gets the exact same symptoms I do: dizziness, sensation of plugged ears, pain in the face and around the ears, postnasal floods (icky,) gagging, sore throat... the whole nine yards and more. We commiserate with each other because we both get sinusitis at the same time. Maybe we're long-lost twins?

Have run out of mineral supplements so have ended up dehydrated. Rely on those to keep things in balance. Otherwise, I end up with a UTI, irregular heartbeat and usually have to make a visit to the emergency room to get hooked up to an EKG. There they always tell me the same thing: you have a UTI, irregular heartbeat and are dehydrated. OK, I already KNEW that. Fix me. Then they give me potassium, magnesium and zinc. Just what I take here at home, faithfully. And, of course, bill me 2000.00 for the whole mess. Pays to keep the minerals on hand, I'd say.

Haven't decided if I am pleased about going camping this weekend. Will be nice to get away from the Herd for a couple of days. Won't be nice that, more than likely, the campground will be overrun with loud, drunken, and obnoxious country-music lovers. Attempted to get Himself to wait until next weekend but he is tired and wants a break. He also wants to go golfing, for some reason. I golfed back in the days when it wasn't "cool." Decided about 10 years ago that I didn't enjoy it and wasn't going to do it anymore.**

Have a bunch of cukes brining. Will get them cut into spears, in jars with dill and garlic and cayennes peppers and sealed up. We eat a lot more spears than we do sliced pickles which is nice because they're a lot easier to prepare. When DS2 gets his hiniey around he can bring up my water bath canner, jars, the lifters and all that stuff from downstairs. Kids are useful for many things, mostly hauling stuff around. LOL

The shower has been taken care of for today. Hot water is a wonderful invention, isn't it? Gets you clean and helps clear out sinuses. Sort of. LOL I won't go into any detail about that as it is just gross-out material.

The dog has been out and back in several times this morning. It's only 9:30 am, too. Goofy little beast. I need to get more peroxide in those ears but that involves chasing her down and clamping her head between my knees. She can move pretty fast for having a ticky backend, too. Besides being short as she is means she can get under the dining room table.

Have been wearing the knee brace less and less. It's back to around 75% which is doing pretty well. Most things work just fine but still can't extend the joint to go down stairs in a normal manner. The ligaments are still a bit touchy and have been warned not to put any strain on them. So I try not to. It's nice to be able to get dressed without putting on the brace. The degree of injury was such that the healing process took a long time to get started. It was worrisome. Doc said that, since I'm not a young'un, it was likely to take much longer than it has in the past but I didn't expect to get up to almost a year. The first three months there seemed to be no discernible progress at all. By March it was a lot stronger but still wobbly. Now I can walk almost normally for pretty long distances without pain, nor does the joint feel loose.

It's turned out to be a gorgeous day. Not too warm, not too chilly and sunny. The second hatch of cicadas is singing, too. Good day to be alive, indeed.






* That includes every last damned clothing and department store at the MoA. Yes, we went to every last one. For someone who hates shopping that is like having thumbscrews applied only more painful.
** That was around the time when it became "cool." Courses are now overrun by VWP in golf carts who have flying saucers embedded in their heads.

No comments:


Stop the Spying!

About Me

A hobby cook from the Midwest. Experiments, thoughts, new recipes, maybe even a photo or two... You noticed the pouting little girl with the words superimposed over her face? Growing up in the 60s and 70s the refrain of "there are starving children in [insert current poverty-stricken nation] that would love to have such... etc etc etc." I don't know that anyone actually believed all that but the image of a starving foreign child, holding out a bowl in hopes of being gifted with boiled tongue or green tomato pie, was pretty powerful. I do recall the kind of trouble kids would inevitably be in if they dared to say what most of us thought: "Well, then, send this stuff right on over to those poor, starving [insert country] kids." I don't usually post other people's photos, just my own. If you want to borrow or use one of my photos, I would appreciate your asking first. I usually don't mind but do hate having my work attributed to someone else. By the way, I found the photo of that pouting girl on the web with no attribution. If it's yours? We'll deal, ok? Thanks.
Powered By Blogger