Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Legal boredoms

Himself and I have to make an appointment with an attorney to update wills, power of attorney, advance directives and all that legal stuff make necessary by the sad state of our society.

Since he is a professional driver and that is one of the most dangerous jobs (according to industry statistics) he is very worried about being incapacitated, or worse, killed, and having his train wreck of a family step in and push me totally out of the decision making process. Then he thinks they could come over here and start stripping the house and taking anything they could get their hands on.

Legally, that is a grey area but, by the time I could muster cops and attorneys and so forth, the Rotten To The Core bunch would have already sold everything or taken it back to whatever hell they came from.

He is also adamant about getting married. He feels that is the final, and possibly only, way we will be able to keep those locusts away from us. I am still hesitant, though. We've been together 14 years and you'd think things wouldn't change just because it's "legal." I'm afraid they will change and for the worse. He doesn't think my fear makes any sense at all. I have to agree with him. It's irrational but real. Just because the first time was a sad and painful experience doesn't mean this would be. Pain is unavoidable and neither of us are perfect, far from it, but we don't have problems that are any worse than most folks.

I am not sure what has moved him to come to these decisions at this particular time, though. I am wondering if he has heard something or knows something he isn't telling me. Not about him or me but something about his family. I do know he was remembering what they did when his grandfather because critically ill, which was go 180 in opposition to the old man's wishes. Perhaps that was the trigger?

If something happened to me, I have every confidence that my kids wouldn't even think about keeping him out of any decisions. Once they got over their initial shock about The Mom taking up with that Wild Man, they have lived with him and have learned to love him regardless of his lunacy.

Decisions, decisions, decisions... makes my head spin.

2 comments:

Eileen said...

wedding? wedding!!! i wanna come!!!!! i won't commit to make-up doing and the like - but i think i can commit to making enough of those silly tissue-paper flower to cover the rv from top to bottom. :-)

dragonmom said...

LOL Tissue paper flowers? OMG, I can just imagine... the rv all tarted up looking like a mobile Hawaiian cathouse.


Stop the Spying!

About Me

A hobby cook from the Midwest. Experiments, thoughts, new recipes, maybe even a photo or two... You noticed the pouting little girl with the words superimposed over her face? Growing up in the 60s and 70s the refrain of "there are starving children in [insert current poverty-stricken nation] that would love to have such... etc etc etc." I don't know that anyone actually believed all that but the image of a starving foreign child, holding out a bowl in hopes of being gifted with boiled tongue or green tomato pie, was pretty powerful. I do recall the kind of trouble kids would inevitably be in if they dared to say what most of us thought: "Well, then, send this stuff right on over to those poor, starving [insert country] kids." I don't usually post other people's photos, just my own. If you want to borrow or use one of my photos, I would appreciate your asking first. I usually don't mind but do hate having my work attributed to someone else. By the way, I found the photo of that pouting girl on the web with no attribution. If it's yours? We'll deal, ok? Thanks.
Powered By Blogger