Thursday, August 28, 2008

A baldfaced grab for power

Article from the Manchester guardian:

Safe in our Cages

This is a horrifying concept. Who decides what constitutes proper usage? Who can possibly imagine black suits showing up at the front door because your usage "pattern" has changed. What the hell business is it of anyone's if I choose to change my patterns? So I don't read science blogs today and instead am reading the OCU website? So what?

This is a baldfaced and outright grab for absolute oversight and power by politicos and their minions. Foisting the "war on terror" repeatedly on the public gives them leave to institute draconian measures that violate civil rights and our privacy. In the name of "safety" they take our liberties and spy on our private lives.

It is beyond the possibility of my imagination to believe that any guvmunt entity which is given this type of power will not abuse it. Rather, abuse follows as sunset follows the day. There can be no arguing about that as it has been demonstrated time and time again throughout history.

Other than the pursuit of power and self gratification, what use does this proposal have in reality? None. Believing they can find "terrorists" by sifting through millions of usage records is just plain stupid. In light of that, I do not think that is the end purpose of this gross monstrosity. I firmly believe it is nothing more, nor less, than an outright grab for power.

If someone can give me a better explanation, please do...

No comments:


Stop the Spying!

About Me

A hobby cook from the Midwest. Experiments, thoughts, new recipes, maybe even a photo or two... You noticed the pouting little girl with the words superimposed over her face? Growing up in the 60s and 70s the refrain of "there are starving children in [insert current poverty-stricken nation] that would love to have such... etc etc etc." I don't know that anyone actually believed all that but the image of a starving foreign child, holding out a bowl in hopes of being gifted with boiled tongue or green tomato pie, was pretty powerful. I do recall the kind of trouble kids would inevitably be in if they dared to say what most of us thought: "Well, then, send this stuff right on over to those poor, starving [insert country] kids." I don't usually post other people's photos, just my own. If you want to borrow or use one of my photos, I would appreciate your asking first. I usually don't mind but do hate having my work attributed to someone else. By the way, I found the photo of that pouting girl on the web with no attribution. If it's yours? We'll deal, ok? Thanks.
Powered By Blogger