Thursday, August 14, 2008

Is this Thursday?

Gotta be. I think yesterday was Wednesday and Thursday usually follows right after. If it isn't Thursday, what day is it and where did Thursday go? Cosmic questions...


These four items are sitting on my desk, glaring at me. They are transmitting a subliminal message: "youdotooknowwhatweareforyoumoronthink" Being called a moron by unnamed metallic items is somewhat disturbing. The three skinny metal doohickeys have marking on them that would indicate they are for measuring something or somethings. There are 32nds, 16ths, 1/4s, 1/8ths, 64ths. And tabby kind of sliding things. The other whazzis looks vaguely like a speculum in reverse. There aren't any marking on it but it still must be some sort of measuring device. If anyone knows what these doodads are, please let me know. The buzzing in my brain is becoming a problem.

It's turned out to be a pretty decent day. The weather is gorgeous and I am putting off another trip to town for the time being. I was just thinking of several things that I am grateful for or happy about but being distracted by the doohickeys has driven them right out of my mind.

The icemaker in our fridge has quit working. I don't know why, either. Suppose will have to call Kev the Fixer and have him take a look at it. He's a ton cheaper than the other guys and makes me laugh. Would be nice to have the ice back, especially since it's getting to be canning season and blanch/shock is part of the proceedings. There are a couple dozen tomatoes in the kitchen at present that are vying with the metallic thingies for what little mental room I possess. The maters will be done by the end of the afternoon, though.

Something has been beeping at me for some time. I can't locate the beep and don't know what it would be. This happens every now and then and I find it very disturbing. What is making that beep? Never mind, I found it. Some twit left a text message on my cell phone asking if "you all want to go bowling." I've had that same number for several years now and still get weird stuff like that. Maybe someone has fumble-fingers and pushes the wrong button?

Men can be totally brainless, sometimes. DS3 and I left at 3:30 yesterday afternoon for his 4:00 conferences at school. At 5 minutes to 4, Himself calls and asks, "Where are you?" My first thought was to tell him we were in town at Ransom's pool hall, shootin' billiards and slugging Jack Daniel's. (We were actually standing in the hallway waiting for the teacher.) Since he and SS were on their way to their own conference at the same school only later, what the hell did he think we were doing?

Males ask totally pointless, rhetorical questions like the one above all the time. I fail to understand why they do that. If someone asks a question it would seem logical that they are wanting an answer. So why ask when there is no answer? What is the point? Females tend to ask when we went to know. At least, I do. So, it follows that when someone asks us something, we try to find an answer. When there isn't any point to the question, nor is there any answer, we find it frustrating. Why in the world would a man come growling out of the garage and ask no one in particular where the hell his crescent wrench is? I certainly don't know. That No One in Particular isn't answering, either. I just don't get it.

Kids ask all kinds of questions but at least they want to know an answer. My bunch asked the damnedest things, not just "why is the sky blue" which is an easy one, but things like:
  • why does the water do that going down the drain?
  • where does the poopy go when you flush?
There were also the questions that they didn't ask and went out and found their own answers. Sometimes this worked nicely, other times it was pretty bad. For instance:
  • what happens when you walk barefoot on a smoldering pile of leaves?
  • what happens if you stand on that fishtank when it's on it's side?
  • what happens when you put dirt in the gas tanks of all the mowers, tillers and snowblowers in the barn?
  • what would happen if we ran gigantic dill pickles through the industrial strength floor fan?
  • what happens if you pull this funny ring-thingie on the handle of thise tall skinny red canister deal?
  • does Mom's purse burn?
All true, gently reader, they did all those things. And more. Somebody ought to write a book about them. Endlessly curious and asking questions. At least they wanted to know...

No comments:


Stop the Spying!

About Me

A hobby cook from the Midwest. Experiments, thoughts, new recipes, maybe even a photo or two... You noticed the pouting little girl with the words superimposed over her face? Growing up in the 60s and 70s the refrain of "there are starving children in [insert current poverty-stricken nation] that would love to have such... etc etc etc." I don't know that anyone actually believed all that but the image of a starving foreign child, holding out a bowl in hopes of being gifted with boiled tongue or green tomato pie, was pretty powerful. I do recall the kind of trouble kids would inevitably be in if they dared to say what most of us thought: "Well, then, send this stuff right on over to those poor, starving [insert country] kids." I don't usually post other people's photos, just my own. If you want to borrow or use one of my photos, I would appreciate your asking first. I usually don't mind but do hate having my work attributed to someone else. By the way, I found the photo of that pouting girl on the web with no attribution. If it's yours? We'll deal, ok? Thanks.
Powered By Blogger