Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Pshaw

I forgot to drive to Forest City this morning.

Darn.

Got a lot done, so far, today. Went to chiro, took more clothes to Shirley's (Once, she says to tell you Hi,) more stuff to thrift store, stopped at Walgreen's and got Green Bags along with 2 cans of coffee that were over 3.00 off for each and some tissue paper, drove over to CL to see about getting my hair cut (Brenda not there,) went back to MC and ate at Arby's, drove down to the south part of town, got some potables, then back over to CL where Brenda was finally in (appt. 1 pm Wed.)

I took 106 over the first time to CL and a semi had overturned in the entry to Northern Cold Storage. Looks like the driver cut the corner too short and the back of the reefer slid off into the ditch. It flipped the reefer and torqued the cab clear up in the air, twisting it out of shape. Hope the driver is OK but he'd have to have had a ladder to climb out as the truck was some feet above the road.*

When I got back here, notified my ebay buyers about postage, packe their stuff up, mailed it, came back, refunded 1.95 overage to one buyer and notified both of tracking numbers. Glad that's done. I am always concerned that a buyer will be unhappy with what they receive. So far only one guy (from the LA metro) was unhappy. I had advertised a pair of wool longjohns as NOT TO BE WORN and for stage props or something like that. He evidently disregarded that and was offended that they weren't functional. I never said they were but refunded his money and told him to just toss them in the trash or whatever. I don't know if he was bullshitting or not but it wasn't worth the negative feedback.

Next on the list is putting away laundry. *sigh* I dislike hauling it down, washing it, drying it, hauling it back up and then having to fold it and put it away. Like dishes, it is a never-ending drudgery. In summer it is impossible to leave it in a basket for more than 2 days because it starts smelling much like a junior high boy's locker room on a hot day after a basketball tournament. ppppeeeeewwwwwwwwwww!

I don't have the foggiest clue what to do for supper tonight, either. I really enjoy cooking but I do so much of it that I just get burned out sometimes. It's too warm to put something in the oven and we've had pretty much everything that we like on the grill in the last month or so. The idea of cooking for a living doesn't appeal to me at all. Have had some people suggest that I go to culinary school but... NO! My good friend Rod (who is also a great cook) and I agree that having to do it professionally would take all the fun out of it.

Himself had a bad day at work yesterday so he was really cranky when he got home. I was worn out and overheated so we didn't have a very nice evening. Sure hope he has a better day today but he isn't likely to ever have a really good one until he gets back behind the wheel of a rig. He just despises what he is doing and I can't say I blame him. He's one of those guys who has to find something in his work that he can be proud of. This job? He feels like a slag. Now they are starting 7 days a week. He might as well be out OTR as put up with that crap. He is bringing in funds but at what cost to him?

Currently keeping an eye on auctions I started yesterday. They won't end until Monday. Between now and then I have another bunch of things to get scanned, photoed, described and uploaded. After that there is more stuff. Then more. and more and more and more. I have so much stuffage, just from that one foray into the attic, that if I list only 7 items at a time I will be doing this for about 4 months. Anything that doesn't sell will be listed in eCrater, where it can sit for however long I want it to sit. That's fine if it is something that can be stored away while waiting but for larger items? Not sure. Might take them to antique dealers or to the thrift shop. I have a number of items in a safe place that are likely to sell but they are more high dollar and will be listed for 10 days on private auction. One thing is a very old shoulder holster made by a famous Montana saddlemaker. The problem with that is finding someone to authenticate it. Most people aren''t interested in single items, all they want to deal with is collections that will bring them large sums. Then there is the Rajastani solid silver chandelier necklace... oh, boy. Weighs about 4 pounds and the jeweler I took it to for appraisal couldn't begin to give me a value for it. I'll think of something. Eventually. Have to do something about that Limoges thingie, too. I suppose I'll put it up and let it go to the highest bidder with no reserve. Getting tired of having stuff just sitting around that isn't used for anything and is taking up space.

This weekend the Up in Smoke KCBS competition is on! nomnomnomnomnom I love 'q and am hoping it isn't 100 degrees on "eating day." There is so much great stuff, from brisket all the way across the spectrum, that it's hard to find enough room to try all of it. A couple of years ago, Rod and I were seriously considering entering but decided it would be too much trouble. And besides, nobody is putting chlorine bleach on the inside of our big grill. No way. Ick. I understand the health regulations to be (ahem) in the public's best interest but there is a whole extended list of things that have to be done, then there is the prep time and cooking and so forth. Tired us out just thinking about it. We would have put some goooooood stuff out, though. Rod makes The World's Best Jerk Chicken. He started experimenting after a trip to Jamaica a few years back (the rat) and now grows many of his own ingredients for the marinade. I can eat that chicken until I'm damned near sick, yes I can. Well, anyway, I am looking forward to the whole event. They have a whole roster of world-class entrants, bands, activities, and so forth. Of course, the main thing is the 'Q! (come to think about it, we may not go. Himself will work all weekend. duh. shit.)

I suppose I should go get something done. Ah, life but it sure beats the alternative.


* Story link: Semi rollover

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

*sigh*

If the worthless bitch sis in law didn't have to be paid we would be happy to come up and have some 'q with the grandma. the grandies love ribs!

ah well

dragonmom said...

That sure would be fun! Would love to come down and just pork out at Gates'. nomnomnom!

Anonymous said...

drool drool drool

dragonmom said...

I'd even drive down just to eat!

Makes me hungry thinking about it.


Stop the Spying!

About Me

A hobby cook from the Midwest. Experiments, thoughts, new recipes, maybe even a photo or two... You noticed the pouting little girl with the words superimposed over her face? Growing up in the 60s and 70s the refrain of "there are starving children in [insert current poverty-stricken nation] that would love to have such... etc etc etc." I don't know that anyone actually believed all that but the image of a starving foreign child, holding out a bowl in hopes of being gifted with boiled tongue or green tomato pie, was pretty powerful. I do recall the kind of trouble kids would inevitably be in if they dared to say what most of us thought: "Well, then, send this stuff right on over to those poor, starving [insert country] kids." I don't usually post other people's photos, just my own. If you want to borrow or use one of my photos, I would appreciate your asking first. I usually don't mind but do hate having my work attributed to someone else. By the way, I found the photo of that pouting girl on the web with no attribution. If it's yours? We'll deal, ok? Thanks.
Powered By Blogger