Friday, July 25, 2008

I have a new grocery store

Aldi's.

That's right, I said Aldi's.

If you've been following along, gentle reader, you know already that I am incensed about the chemicals and preservatives and flavorings and colorings put in food to mask the fact that it is over processed and pretty much edible nonfood.

We ate a decent meal last night for around 8 dollars. That small amount fed 2 adults and two ravening adolescent males. Not bad, eh?

We had the store brand of pork and beans and it tastes like pork and beans is supposed to taste. There is NO high fructose corn syrup in it. None.

The tater chips are just taters, salt and the oil they are fried in. They, too, taste like tater chips should taste. Crunchy and "tatoey."

The main was cajun shrimp skewers. They did have some chemically stuff in them but not near as much as is common in the majority of off-the-shelf entrees.

I just had a store-brand cotto salami sandwich and it was tasty.*

Also bought a can of the store-brand coffee. Tasted just like coffee this a.m. and it was 6 dollars a can less than national brands. You get a couple of ounces more, too.

Himself and I are planning a stock-up foray this weekend. There are some of the store's items that I probably won't buy unless absolutely necessary. At the same time, how can you beat 2.99 a gallon whole milk?


* I just had another one and it, too, was tasty. nomnomnomnomnom

No comments:


Stop the Spying!

About Me

A hobby cook from the Midwest. Experiments, thoughts, new recipes, maybe even a photo or two... You noticed the pouting little girl with the words superimposed over her face? Growing up in the 60s and 70s the refrain of "there are starving children in [insert current poverty-stricken nation] that would love to have such... etc etc etc." I don't know that anyone actually believed all that but the image of a starving foreign child, holding out a bowl in hopes of being gifted with boiled tongue or green tomato pie, was pretty powerful. I do recall the kind of trouble kids would inevitably be in if they dared to say what most of us thought: "Well, then, send this stuff right on over to those poor, starving [insert country] kids." I don't usually post other people's photos, just my own. If you want to borrow or use one of my photos, I would appreciate your asking first. I usually don't mind but do hate having my work attributed to someone else. By the way, I found the photo of that pouting girl on the web with no attribution. If it's yours? We'll deal, ok? Thanks.
Powered By Blogger