Monday, July 21, 2008

No place for politically correct.

Off-the-wall edition for today:

Every so often, someone of the Wood persuasion around here makes some snide comment about something or other.* Oft times, SS looks offended and states, "That isn't very sensitive."

Uh, what?

  • Sensitive is when you wax your armpits and the wax won't come off.
  • Sensitive is getting sunburned really easy.
  • Sensitive is any number of things but it isn't something that has anything to do with political, social or historical comment.

The immediate respone to such an inane comment is usually all heads turned to gaze at the commenter, jaws dropped in disbelief.

If I believe, for good reason, that the Talking Heads** on Faux News are morons, I'm likely to say so.

If DS2 thinks, for good reason, that Dubya looks an awful lot like Bonzo the Chimp, he'll say it.

If DS3 is leery of politicians' claims of whatever they're claiming at this point in time, he'll pipe up.

DD has a tendency to yell at stupidity on tv and not suffer fools gladly.

DS1 will take a poseur apart surgically and never break a sweat.

DS2 will debate you in a rational and proper manner. He is likely to win.

It's all my fault. I made them read things like "Critical Reasoning" and such when they were kids They learned horrific lessons from that kind of literature. Lessons such as "think it through," "why do you think that?" "Go ahead, argue with me but you'd damn well better have a good sound argument or I won't listen."

Poor SS couldn't present a decent, rational debate to save his soul, honestly. I told him in no uncertain terms that, if he wished to explain a desired course of action to me for my permission, he'd better (as I said above) have a damned good reasoned base for his argument. So far, in almost a year, he hasn't come up with one.

We all feel quite a lot of pity for the poor kid. How can someone go through life not thinking?



*If you knew us, you'd be surprised that it would be only ONE snide comment.
** Talking Heads are labelled Commentators as a nifty disguise.

No comments:


Stop the Spying!

About Me

A hobby cook from the Midwest. Experiments, thoughts, new recipes, maybe even a photo or two... You noticed the pouting little girl with the words superimposed over her face? Growing up in the 60s and 70s the refrain of "there are starving children in [insert current poverty-stricken nation] that would love to have such... etc etc etc." I don't know that anyone actually believed all that but the image of a starving foreign child, holding out a bowl in hopes of being gifted with boiled tongue or green tomato pie, was pretty powerful. I do recall the kind of trouble kids would inevitably be in if they dared to say what most of us thought: "Well, then, send this stuff right on over to those poor, starving [insert country] kids." I don't usually post other people's photos, just my own. If you want to borrow or use one of my photos, I would appreciate your asking first. I usually don't mind but do hate having my work attributed to someone else. By the way, I found the photo of that pouting girl on the web with no attribution. If it's yours? We'll deal, ok? Thanks.
Powered By Blogger