Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Just never know what you'll see (rather snarky)

Every now and again, as I'm out tootling around, I see something that makes me look twice. Or three times.

One day I saw an older lady in a motorized wheelchair cruising down the parking lot of the grocery store. What turned my head a second time was she had on shorts and a little tanky-top thing. And her boobs were laying down on her knees. Uh, folks should wear pretty much what they want but that's just eye-hurting stuff. I don't get offended but, geeze Louise, folks.

I sometimes wonder why the most gigantic people drive the tiniest vehicles. For instance, driving down a residential street in MC, I happened to pass a gigantic man in a muscle shirt who was extremely hairy. He was driving one of those older S10s that are not much bigger than shoeboxes. The conjunction of fat, hair and a tiny truck just struck me as weird. And somewhat yucky.

You can bet it will be one of those days when you pull off the interstate to get into town and the first thing you see is a line of numerous cars following an old fart driving about 10 mph under the speed limit. Makes me want to turn around and go home. Things never improve after that. It's like a harbinger...

The there was the odd looking guy out on the highway. Barefoot in a t-shirt and shorts. Just walking down the eastbound lane. What in the world would he be doing? He'd have been much better off a mile south on the old road. Less traffic and a nice grass verge to walk on.

There's that old lady in the pink Cadillac who has white fluffy hair. She also has a white fluffy dog that rides around on her lap. You can see neither the driver nor the dog if you're in back of her. She looks between the top of the steering wheel and the dashboard. That much pink is scary enough without what's supposedly navigating it.

Then the older woman with the dyed black hair up in a beehive... She wears cat-glasses with rhinestones, about 10 pounds of makeup, gold mylar and animal prints with very high-heeled shoes. I can't figure out if I feel bad for her as she teeters and totters on those heels or if I'm vaguely repulsed.

The girl from the transition center... well, what do I say about her. She used to be over here in the home but they sent her to MC when she started flagging down passersby and propositioning them. She's still wearing white shoes, white sox, white capris, a white t-shirt and has the same cloth hobo bag. Some things probably are not likely to change. Evidently she has stopped propositioning folks because she was out and about a couple of days ago.

I saw an older guy on a bike who was wearing sky blue sox. Don't see that every day, no siree bob.

One neighbor, who I think the world of, rides a powder pink moped. His wife usually rides it but, on a whim, he will put on his hemet and take off. What is said about physicists may be true, that they are a little odd... He's a great guy, though.

The guy from town here who just gets weirder by the day. When his Gran died in 1969, his mother left her house exactly as it was the day she died. It's still like that. He owns about 5 cars but only drives one, which has the lining from the roof falling down. He carries boxes in the back seat and takes them in to the post office, wearing gloves, to retrieve his mail. I have been told that his house is so crammed with papers and stuff that there are only small paths to get around. He owns 5 houses, one of which he lives in, one he rents to the son of a friend of mine and the other three sit empty for no reason anyone can think of. The store his father operated has not been in business for years but everything is still there, sitting on the shelves. He has about 4 different doctorates but doesn't actually seem to work. He doesn't come out of his house much, either. He's getting downright spooky.

People are weird.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And people say that living in the country and small towns is boring and dull

HA!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah! I used to deliver papers to this guy back in junior high, he freaked me out too. From time to time he would be in his yard and talking to himself. And would stop and watch me as I put his paper on the front step. Can you say CCRREEEEPPPPYYYY!


Stop the Spying!

About Me

A hobby cook from the Midwest. Experiments, thoughts, new recipes, maybe even a photo or two... You noticed the pouting little girl with the words superimposed over her face? Growing up in the 60s and 70s the refrain of "there are starving children in [insert current poverty-stricken nation] that would love to have such... etc etc etc." I don't know that anyone actually believed all that but the image of a starving foreign child, holding out a bowl in hopes of being gifted with boiled tongue or green tomato pie, was pretty powerful. I do recall the kind of trouble kids would inevitably be in if they dared to say what most of us thought: "Well, then, send this stuff right on over to those poor, starving [insert country] kids." I don't usually post other people's photos, just my own. If you want to borrow or use one of my photos, I would appreciate your asking first. I usually don't mind but do hate having my work attributed to someone else. By the way, I found the photo of that pouting girl on the web with no attribution. If it's yours? We'll deal, ok? Thanks.
Powered By Blogger