Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Note to self:

Remember that accompanying Himself uptown for a beer on a Tuesday evening is a mistake.

The "usual" crowd who, although not socially acceptable are rather interesting in bizarre ways, are replaced by pseudo-people. You know, the "just off the golf course" stool loungers.*

The overdressed and over-madeup wannabe yuppie females in the cute pink tees and khaki bahamas and eye shades.

The Successful Male Siding Salesmen who are married to the wannabe yuppies. They always look to me as if they're Wannabe Males.

Those of us who just wanted a beer and some conversation find ourselves moving further and further into the corner, all the while keeping backs against the wall in case of a Yuppie Explosion.

There was so much joviality, back-slapping, guffawing and polite tittering (by the male wannabes) that a feeling of imminent doom came over me.

What if the floor collapsed under the weight of huge egos?

What if the whole lot succumbed to shipping fever or some rare tropical malady and stampeded wildly around the premises?

What if one of them decided to actually speak to us?

I will admit I look at those people with a jaundiced eye. I've known the whole bunch my whole life (ugh ugh ugh.) They married people from their classes, hang out with the same people they hung out with in grade school, eat the same foods, tell stupid jokes, are totally clueless about what's going on in the Big World outside this little burg.

What is really scary is they could not possibly care less. They really and truly do not care. How boring.

We gotta get out of this place.


* They're just frightfully White.

No comments:


Stop the Spying!

About Me

A hobby cook from the Midwest. Experiments, thoughts, new recipes, maybe even a photo or two... You noticed the pouting little girl with the words superimposed over her face? Growing up in the 60s and 70s the refrain of "there are starving children in [insert current poverty-stricken nation] that would love to have such... etc etc etc." I don't know that anyone actually believed all that but the image of a starving foreign child, holding out a bowl in hopes of being gifted with boiled tongue or green tomato pie, was pretty powerful. I do recall the kind of trouble kids would inevitably be in if they dared to say what most of us thought: "Well, then, send this stuff right on over to those poor, starving [insert country] kids." I don't usually post other people's photos, just my own. If you want to borrow or use one of my photos, I would appreciate your asking first. I usually don't mind but do hate having my work attributed to someone else. By the way, I found the photo of that pouting girl on the web with no attribution. If it's yours? We'll deal, ok? Thanks.
Powered By Blogger