Monday, July 7, 2008

Monday morning blahs

Some mornings it hardly seems worth the trouble to get out of bed. Between laundry, housework, teenagers, males of various descriptions, bills, a horrible economy, day after day of heat and humidity and lack of sleep, I am feeling like a wet wash cloth.

Have to take cans in today, stop at the pharmacy, do something to get out of here for a while. DIL is coming up this weekend. That will be nice. We will sort through a bunch of stuff and see what she and DS1 want, then will probably either sell the rest or give it away. The rest of the kids either have no place for things or just aren't interested. We will probably go out somewhere for a nice meal. She says she thinks I need to get away from the stinky boys for a while. She's right.

Sis and I were chatting Sat. and we both were wishing there was some way we could get together, even for just a quick dinner someplace. She can't afford the drive up here and I can't afford the drive down there and there isn't really anyplace in between that would be worth the trip.

Job searching up here is getting depressing. People who have the kind of jobs I do are keeping them because something else is so hard to find. I may end up driving 20 or more miles and that isn't a good thing. Am gradually getting back in shape but it's taking a while. Overdoing is easy and I really pay for it with back spasms and so forth if I do over-reach.

Have been going through bills. Gawd. They continue to go up! What happens when people must choose between putting food on the table and paying their bills? The price of registering vehicles has gone up about 25%, too. Where the dickens does that money go? Property taxes are going up anywhere from 5% to 25% this year as well. The neighbors and I are wondering where all that goes, too. Sure doesn't seem to be showing up in any improvement in infrastructure around here.

The mess with the IRS keeps bothering me. It's one of those nagging things that seems to take forever to get resolved. My biggest concern is that getting everything settled up will take every cent I have, all my retirement funds, my house, my vehicles, everything. We may be able to negotiate a payment plan. I don't know. I do know that it is causing stress on me. Waking up at 3 am, night after night, with the whole thing nagging at me? *sigh*

Himself had to switch jobs. All I can hope for is that he gets behind the wheel of another truck, even if he is working 12 hour days, 6 days a week. He has got to have some funds coming in, and that soon. Not only that, but he has got to keep the job, not get all hoity-toity and start telling everyone how he thinks things should be done. Letting the OTR job go is understandable. He hasn't got the kind of temperament that can just sit back and say, "oh, well, if i sit here for another day, so what?" Still, he has got to get and keep a job. That's all. I can't hold it together anymore by myself nor be expected to keep supporting adolescents who seem to think food costs nothing at all. If I were him I'd have a massive case of the guilties for fiddling around in this manner. It isn't 1975 and jobs are rarer than hen's teeth. Get that through your head, man. It's an employer's market not an employee's. Those employers have people knocking on their doors, desperate to do anything to pay bills and support their families. They don't need to fool around with someone who seems to be a know-it-all, regardless of how talented he is.

The flooding has turned everything up here buttside up. There are some businesses that are struggling to get back on their feet. Some are still not open. People are wondering how they will manage to make ends meet. Everyone I know is pulling back and trying to regroup. I do mean everyone, too. With the projected rise in food costs of 9 to 25% over the next year... well, need I say more? We are spending only on food and bills. That's it. I don't mind that if it weren't for the above referenced IRS stuff.

I suppose I should get my backside in gear and actually get back to doing something. Venting a bit here makes it easier for me to not dwell on things quite so much.

No comments:


Stop the Spying!

About Me

A hobby cook from the Midwest. Experiments, thoughts, new recipes, maybe even a photo or two... You noticed the pouting little girl with the words superimposed over her face? Growing up in the 60s and 70s the refrain of "there are starving children in [insert current poverty-stricken nation] that would love to have such... etc etc etc." I don't know that anyone actually believed all that but the image of a starving foreign child, holding out a bowl in hopes of being gifted with boiled tongue or green tomato pie, was pretty powerful. I do recall the kind of trouble kids would inevitably be in if they dared to say what most of us thought: "Well, then, send this stuff right on over to those poor, starving [insert country] kids." I don't usually post other people's photos, just my own. If you want to borrow or use one of my photos, I would appreciate your asking first. I usually don't mind but do hate having my work attributed to someone else. By the way, I found the photo of that pouting girl on the web with no attribution. If it's yours? We'll deal, ok? Thanks.
Powered By Blogger