Friday, July 11, 2008

Dealing with a Feckless Homunculus

OK, dear readers, I have mulled this problem with SS over a bit and here are some conclusions I have come to:

Since he is convinced against all evidence to the contrary that he is an Adult, he will be treated like one.*

Adults have some defining characteristics. #1 is responsibility for one's own actions.

Therefore, since SS believes he is an adult, he is now responsible for the consequences of any ill-advised course of action he takes.

It is very easy to be an Adult when you aren't the one who has to clean up the messes you make by your foolishness.

Therefore, don't talk to me about your problems, little boy, you've brought this on yourself by your blind insistence that you know everything there is to know about life.

You have doctor bills because you were acting stupid?

You're an adult. Pay them

You put your car in the ditch?

Fine, adults figure out what to do in a situation like that. Fix it.

You let someone drive your car and they wrecked it?

Tough. Not my problem. You're an adult, aren't you?

You jumped your skateboard off some steps and broke your arm?

Gee, who would have foreseen that? An adult.

You and your homunculus buddies trespassed on private property and are being taken to court?

Go to court yourself. It isn't my problem.

You think you're an adult? OK, Big Boy, run with it and see how far you get.

It's not my problem.

ETA: Well, well, well. Just talked to Himself. He had spoken to SS, who wanted to snivel about how unfair I am, and told the kid right out that we are in agreement about this decision. We both agree that he will never learn in any other way. It will be damned hard for him but he is extremely stubborn, not to speak of passive-aggressive, and since he won't learn the easy way? It'll be the other way.




*To the fullest extent I believe wise.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adulthood can be a real kick in the ass. And a HARD one at that.

*sigh*

I just fear that one of these days he is gonna really mess up and drag you and everyone else down with him.

dragonmom said...

Once he turns 18 it well and truly is NOT our problem. 3 1/2 months...

Eileen said...

Let's hope the 3.5 months go quickly - for your sake. At least then he's truly on his own in the eyes of the court and other entities.

dragonmom said...

Absolutely right.

Anonymous said...

*sigh*

It will be a long three months.


Stop the Spying!

About Me

A hobby cook from the Midwest. Experiments, thoughts, new recipes, maybe even a photo or two... You noticed the pouting little girl with the words superimposed over her face? Growing up in the 60s and 70s the refrain of "there are starving children in [insert current poverty-stricken nation] that would love to have such... etc etc etc." I don't know that anyone actually believed all that but the image of a starving foreign child, holding out a bowl in hopes of being gifted with boiled tongue or green tomato pie, was pretty powerful. I do recall the kind of trouble kids would inevitably be in if they dared to say what most of us thought: "Well, then, send this stuff right on over to those poor, starving [insert country] kids." I don't usually post other people's photos, just my own. If you want to borrow or use one of my photos, I would appreciate your asking first. I usually don't mind but do hate having my work attributed to someone else. By the way, I found the photo of that pouting girl on the web with no attribution. If it's yours? We'll deal, ok? Thanks.
Powered By Blogger