Saturday, June 28, 2008

Good news and bad news

Heard from an old friend who lost her husband the 9th of this month. She has 3 kids to care for and an unsteady job. We have been worried that she wouldn't be able to handle all the responsibilities. She has seemed to be not-quite-with-the-program.
But you know what? She is doing absolutely marvelously. I always suspected she was a lot smarter and more capable than she let on and I may be proven right. YAY!

The bad news is? Another old friend, well... She and her long-time SO parted ways over a year ago. The main cause was her out of control drinking. Not just sitting at home at night and having too many beers, but totally out of control. Driving with your 6 year old son in the car and ending up in the ditch. Going ballistic and throwing things, kicking kids and dogs, hitting your SO. Being picked up for DUI several times but somehow charming the officer into letting you follow him back to your house. Bad stuff. In a previous blog I mentioned the party we have never missed since it started, years ago? That is the one she and her now-ex created. It was to be tonight and we simply can't go. I spoke with another old friend of hers earlier and Ang tells me she has been calling her and screaming at her because she and her husband are still friends with SO. She told Ang that she was going to come over and "kick her ass" which would be like me kicking The Rock's ass. Not gonna happen.
She just called me, too. There was no screaming but I did tell her we weren't planning on going to the party this year because we are just too tired. She began crying and told me she misses us. I am sure she does.
I do know that her ex-SO has a new girlfriend but don't really know her. Our old friend asked if I knew her and then started in with obscenities and so forth. I truly believe we need to distance ourselves from this before we get sucked in, somehow.
I know people part ways but this is getting out of control. We do miss her and we miss her ex-SO but, damn! I am hoping something doesn't go badly wrong and someone gets hurt, or worse, killed.

Maybe I should just put on my jammies and concole myself with the fact that Barbie is doing great. And supper was yummy.

*sigh*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Drama needs to be banned from civilized life, seriously. Anyone with half a brain has no need for such stupidity let alone wants to be around anything like it. I get to the point at work now where I get up and leave before I blurt out "SHUT THE FUCK UP". As much fun as it would be, I prefer not to get fired for speaking my mind.

dragonmom said...

I agree. We all deal with enough drama-stuff in our own lives.

Have no idea how the party went but we were relieved that we didn't go. Missed the chicken, though.

nomnomnomnom

Anonymous said...

i must agree

nomnomnomnomnom


Stop the Spying!

About Me

A hobby cook from the Midwest. Experiments, thoughts, new recipes, maybe even a photo or two... You noticed the pouting little girl with the words superimposed over her face? Growing up in the 60s and 70s the refrain of "there are starving children in [insert current poverty-stricken nation] that would love to have such... etc etc etc." I don't know that anyone actually believed all that but the image of a starving foreign child, holding out a bowl in hopes of being gifted with boiled tongue or green tomato pie, was pretty powerful. I do recall the kind of trouble kids would inevitably be in if they dared to say what most of us thought: "Well, then, send this stuff right on over to those poor, starving [insert country] kids." I don't usually post other people's photos, just my own. If you want to borrow or use one of my photos, I would appreciate your asking first. I usually don't mind but do hate having my work attributed to someone else. By the way, I found the photo of that pouting girl on the web with no attribution. If it's yours? We'll deal, ok? Thanks.
Powered By Blogger