Friday, September 12, 2008

4 months

ago a very dear friend died, suddenly and unexpectedly.

Yesterday, as I finished up the last of his prize-winning salsa, I realized that I am still struggling to deal with his death. I had pulled the jar out of the fridge and, in doing so, noticed his handwritten label on the lid. For no reason and many reasons, I suddenly was in another place and time, laughing, talking, being bitten by his horrid dog, and eating his marvelous minestrone.

The memory was so clear, the voices so present, that it brought tears to my eyes. I smelled the soup, tasted the bread, heard the kids in the other room... I was there, once again, even if only in my mind and only for a short interval of time.

My dear friend, I don't know if you know how much we miss you. You were the very heart of a widespread circle of friends from many backgrounds and outlooks. You brought us together with your humor, your can-do attitude, and that marvelous food. Do you know that your mother took me under her wing at your funeral and brought me right into your family circle? She had never met me but treated me as one of her own, an Italian mama to the core, just as you always said. I know now from whom you learned your life-skills, to my delight. Also to my great regret for I find myself wishing I could have met her years ago.

I miss you, indeed I do. I suppose, in time, memory will fade, but for now... let it just be said that there is a large and empty place in my pantry where there should be a jar of a beloved friend's salsa.

No comments:


Stop the Spying!

About Me

A hobby cook from the Midwest. Experiments, thoughts, new recipes, maybe even a photo or two... You noticed the pouting little girl with the words superimposed over her face? Growing up in the 60s and 70s the refrain of "there are starving children in [insert current poverty-stricken nation] that would love to have such... etc etc etc." I don't know that anyone actually believed all that but the image of a starving foreign child, holding out a bowl in hopes of being gifted with boiled tongue or green tomato pie, was pretty powerful. I do recall the kind of trouble kids would inevitably be in if they dared to say what most of us thought: "Well, then, send this stuff right on over to those poor, starving [insert country] kids." I don't usually post other people's photos, just my own. If you want to borrow or use one of my photos, I would appreciate your asking first. I usually don't mind but do hate having my work attributed to someone else. By the way, I found the photo of that pouting girl on the web with no attribution. If it's yours? We'll deal, ok? Thanks.
Powered By Blogger