Monday, July 14, 2008

Want to know why I despise pink?



This is an illustration of my Mother's penchant for frills, cancan underskirts and so forth. Saddle shoes, honestly!



Then there is the Pink Monster. Ribbed knit, coral pink, lacy shirt, gloves, lace anklets, bag from hell and, just as a crowning achievement, a totally dorky hat. Quite a sartorial statement, I'd say.




Finally, the apex of"mygodwhatwasshethinking!!!" The Easter suit from hell. There I was, almost 12, being forced to wear one of the most god-awful creations to ever leave the sales floor at Bergo's. You'd think the PINK shell would be bad enough, wouldn't you? It wasn't necessary for me to move to cause instant blindness in onlookers. Acid green, turquoise, poisonous yallery-greenery, pink (yet again), coral and white stripes. Diagonal stripes. If someone had filmed that thing it would have crawled like a slug...
I remember that suit 41 years later. It may be the last thing I ever see in my mind's eye at the end of my life.
Some memories just don't go away...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHOA! I think that those images have been burned into my retina's forever.

Love those glasses in last pic too. *gag*

Interesting side note, Nona looks a lot like you now. Especially in the first pic.

dragonmom said...

The 60s sucked as bad as the 70s. Honest. Stupid food (remember James Lilek's books?), ugly clothes, hideous interior design stuff. Ugh. ughughugh.

You really think she does? Hmmm.....

Anonymous said...

Good thing most pics were still in black and white back then. If you saw it in the fancy dancy digital that they have now, we would all run away in horror and gouge out eyes out.

I know we alway talked about painting the walls when we still lived in G and G's house, never did. BUT we never would of painted the kitchen red. *ralf*

Anonymous said...

man, everytime I see that last pic my gag reflex kicks in.

can you gag and throw up at the same time?

dragonmom said...

LOL Imagine how I felt wearing the thing out in public?


Stop the Spying!

About Me

A hobby cook from the Midwest. Experiments, thoughts, new recipes, maybe even a photo or two... You noticed the pouting little girl with the words superimposed over her face? Growing up in the 60s and 70s the refrain of "there are starving children in [insert current poverty-stricken nation] that would love to have such... etc etc etc." I don't know that anyone actually believed all that but the image of a starving foreign child, holding out a bowl in hopes of being gifted with boiled tongue or green tomato pie, was pretty powerful. I do recall the kind of trouble kids would inevitably be in if they dared to say what most of us thought: "Well, then, send this stuff right on over to those poor, starving [insert country] kids." I don't usually post other people's photos, just my own. If you want to borrow or use one of my photos, I would appreciate your asking first. I usually don't mind but do hate having my work attributed to someone else. By the way, I found the photo of that pouting girl on the web with no attribution. If it's yours? We'll deal, ok? Thanks.
Powered By Blogger