Friday, February 1, 2008

Death

How do we deal with this? Someone who was instrumental in making us who we are? An important piece of our youth.
The pieces of who we are come from our basic self and the influence of those who were there when we were children. Some things, some parts of us, can not be separated from the past.
How do I accept the death of the tall, handle-bar mustachioed man who was always a presence? They are who we are, in some way. They were there, at birth, at the inception of consciousness, not the realization of being, but the realization of a separate person. I am not them. They are not me. They are still part of me.
All those who were around us, neighbors, friends, teachers, relatives... All were part of making us who we are. Our very environment, where we lived, how we lived, also made us who we are.
There is so much more to us, so much more... we are so much more than just our own biological selves. We are all those who were there, for good or bad. All the presences in our lives have made us who we are.
The bagger at the market. The guy on the corner. Even more so, our family.
How much does family influence us? More than we accept, or want. Genes, yes. Other things more powerful than genes? Yes, indeed.
How do we learn to deal with grief? Pain? Rage? Anger? From those around us. Those who were there when we were small are still with us in our responses. Our reactions.
This one, this one who is now gone? Made me laugh. He made a difference in me... a part of me.
Forever.

Rest well, Jerry. I love you still.

No comments:


Stop the Spying!

About Me

A hobby cook from the Midwest. Experiments, thoughts, new recipes, maybe even a photo or two... You noticed the pouting little girl with the words superimposed over her face? Growing up in the 60s and 70s the refrain of "there are starving children in [insert current poverty-stricken nation] that would love to have such... etc etc etc." I don't know that anyone actually believed all that but the image of a starving foreign child, holding out a bowl in hopes of being gifted with boiled tongue or green tomato pie, was pretty powerful. I do recall the kind of trouble kids would inevitably be in if they dared to say what most of us thought: "Well, then, send this stuff right on over to those poor, starving [insert country] kids." I don't usually post other people's photos, just my own. If you want to borrow or use one of my photos, I would appreciate your asking first. I usually don't mind but do hate having my work attributed to someone else. By the way, I found the photo of that pouting girl on the web with no attribution. If it's yours? We'll deal, ok? Thanks.
Powered By Blogger