Tuesday, January 29, 2008

mules, ducks and elephants

Watched the State of the Onion address last evening.
There were elephants on one side of the aisle and mules on the other side and a lame duck behind the podium. Quite a zoo.
The duck would quack for a while, pause. At the pause, the elephants all promptly bounced to their feet and began beating their front feet together.
The mules, hunkered down in their seats, glowered.
This went on through the whole spiel. It would have been amusing if it weren't so damnably infuriating.

This is a great article about the address:
Consumer's Guide to the State of the Union Address


We are having a Winter Storm. Not just a little snow and a light breeze, a really, truly upper-Midwest howler blizzard. Lucky we aren't getting any more snow that we are.
For reasons known only to themselves, a number of area schools chose not to cancel classes. Now they have decided to dismiss. Well, OK, that's fine but one of them, to our southwest, won't let the buses out of town to take kids home. Visibility is just too bad. So there will be some really furious parents who will likely get on snowmobiles or in other snow-worthy vehicles and take their lives into their hands to fetch their kids. I expect some pointed questions to the superintendent of that school district as to why he didn't cancel school in the first place. He may be looking for a new position in Florida or somewhere else warm.

Just for illustration purposes, for people who are not familiar with blizzards.... this was taken around 11:45 am central time on my way eastbound back from town.
It's gotten much worse since then.
I think I will stay in the house.
















Stuck in the house with bored teenagers. What fun... have been surfing around, looking at blogs. Just read one about "food safety." Uh, OK. I suppose it would be best if I don't point the blogger, an obviously well-intentioned soul, to my recipe for either prime rib nor French roasted beef. Poor thing would have an apoplexy. I'd hate to have someone's demise on my hands, especially if it weren't the result of food poisoning.

No comments:


Stop the Spying!

About Me

A hobby cook from the Midwest. Experiments, thoughts, new recipes, maybe even a photo or two... You noticed the pouting little girl with the words superimposed over her face? Growing up in the 60s and 70s the refrain of "there are starving children in [insert current poverty-stricken nation] that would love to have such... etc etc etc." I don't know that anyone actually believed all that but the image of a starving foreign child, holding out a bowl in hopes of being gifted with boiled tongue or green tomato pie, was pretty powerful. I do recall the kind of trouble kids would inevitably be in if they dared to say what most of us thought: "Well, then, send this stuff right on over to those poor, starving [insert country] kids." I don't usually post other people's photos, just my own. If you want to borrow or use one of my photos, I would appreciate your asking first. I usually don't mind but do hate having my work attributed to someone else. By the way, I found the photo of that pouting girl on the web with no attribution. If it's yours? We'll deal, ok? Thanks.
Powered By Blogger