Monday, September 29, 2008

Where I live

Morning in Iowa, September 27, 2008.

Caught this herd of cattle grazing peacefully. Cattle are funny creatures. This bunch were skittish because the pasture where they are is on a dead-end road so they don't see many people.


This little guy is about half grown. Right after I took this shot he ran off while his mama stayed and kept a close eye on me.


This herd had 2, count 'em, TWO, bulls in with them. This is the largest of the two. He watched me the entire time I was out of the car. I've had enough encounters with bulls to know that, if he took a dislike to me, that little fenceline wouldn't stop him... He looks to me like a purebred Hereford.


This is a photo of beans planted in a swale. It's unusual to see this because a swale normally has grass. The beans are about a month behind the ones on either side that are ready to combine.


Dried-down soybeans look an awful lot like weeds, I think.


This young man is out with dual motives. Hot only is he chopping corn for silage, he is opening up a corn field to make it easier to start picking corn in a few weeks.


That cloud of dust hides a combine.


This combine, in particular. It's carrying a full load and I passed by at just the right moment. She's getting ready to turn and augur the beans into a wagon.


There she is, just entering her turn. Notice that the steering mechanism on the combine is the rear wheels? That makes it much easier to maneuver around in tight corners.


Auguring the beans onto a wagon. This wagon is a gravity-feed which means that it will need to be hauled (along with another just like it) to an elevator to dump. Some wagons have augurs and can load directly into a semi or straight truck. (Have some photos of that but need to get them up here...)


This is a load of piggies going to market... There is a livestock market on Saturdays in the nearest town and I suppose that's where they were off to.
To market, to market, to sell a fat hog....


Sunrise, obviously...


A country road:



Railroad tracks:

No comments:


Stop the Spying!

About Me

A hobby cook from the Midwest. Experiments, thoughts, new recipes, maybe even a photo or two... You noticed the pouting little girl with the words superimposed over her face? Growing up in the 60s and 70s the refrain of "there are starving children in [insert current poverty-stricken nation] that would love to have such... etc etc etc." I don't know that anyone actually believed all that but the image of a starving foreign child, holding out a bowl in hopes of being gifted with boiled tongue or green tomato pie, was pretty powerful. I do recall the kind of trouble kids would inevitably be in if they dared to say what most of us thought: "Well, then, send this stuff right on over to those poor, starving [insert country] kids." I don't usually post other people's photos, just my own. If you want to borrow or use one of my photos, I would appreciate your asking first. I usually don't mind but do hate having my work attributed to someone else. By the way, I found the photo of that pouting girl on the web with no attribution. If it's yours? We'll deal, ok? Thanks.
Powered By Blogger