Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Down time

After spending the last several weeks pickling, preserving, canning, and preparing outdoor-type stuff for winter, I think I'm ready for a bit of downtime.

After I get caught up with the laundry, I might choose to do nothing other than take pictures today. No dishes, no dusting, no paperwork, no banking, nothing at all.

I might even choose not to post anything about politics. Better for my blood pressure, that way.

Have been up for a couple of hours and still blowing the nose, hacking crap up, and trying to get my eyes unglued. I should be getting in the shower but am not getting to it...

We had down-and-dirty chili for supper last night, nothing but onions, ground meat, tomatoes and some dried chili peppers. Not even any beans. It was good, anyway. Everyone was ravenous since nobody cooked Sunday evening and just had sandwiches or something for food during the day yesterday. Will make something easy tonight, too.

Property taxes are due tomorrow but, since Himself doesn't get paid until Friday, they will be a bit late. Will pay a penalty but it's better than having the checks bounce. I don't know how the taxing authorities can continue to raise people's taxes while incomes continue to drop. Where do they think folks will come up with the money? Do they think they can sell a lot of houses at sheriff's sales with the market like it is? There have been sales in the area of delinquent or foreclosed homes and there were no bidders at all. It isn't a good situation, any way you look at it.

Waggy is snoring on the floor, the goofy little beast. We ran out of dog food while we were gone this weekend and I didn't get any until yesterday so she's been pigging out. She has certainly turned out the be an awfully nice addition to the family.

The hands are letting me know that it is time for a break, absolutely. The combination of ice water, peeling and coring the maters has stiffened them up a lot. I don't like to take the NSAIDs that help with the pain but if they don't limber up in an hour or two, I suppose I will anyway.

Have discovered a bruise about the size of an envelope on the back of my left leg just above the knee. I have no clue how I got that. You'd think something that would make a bruise that big and that sore would have impinged on my consciousness in some manner, wouldn't you? Might be an indication of just how tired I was yesterday...

Am currently snacking on beef summer sausage and swiss cheese. Yum. The dog seems to think she is getting some, dancing and prancing and being cute. All that trouble for nothing, too, as she can't have any.

I may get back to this later, but if I don't, Gentle Reader, have a good Tuesday and keep your head above water...

No comments:


Stop the Spying!

About Me

A hobby cook from the Midwest. Experiments, thoughts, new recipes, maybe even a photo or two... You noticed the pouting little girl with the words superimposed over her face? Growing up in the 60s and 70s the refrain of "there are starving children in [insert current poverty-stricken nation] that would love to have such... etc etc etc." I don't know that anyone actually believed all that but the image of a starving foreign child, holding out a bowl in hopes of being gifted with boiled tongue or green tomato pie, was pretty powerful. I do recall the kind of trouble kids would inevitably be in if they dared to say what most of us thought: "Well, then, send this stuff right on over to those poor, starving [insert country] kids." I don't usually post other people's photos, just my own. If you want to borrow or use one of my photos, I would appreciate your asking first. I usually don't mind but do hate having my work attributed to someone else. By the way, I found the photo of that pouting girl on the web with no attribution. If it's yours? We'll deal, ok? Thanks.
Powered By Blogger