Tuesday, September 16, 2008

No, it isn't Monday

even though it feels like it.

Monday was a very, very weird day. Started off cold and wet, ended up warm and sunny. In between there were various mixups, screwups, messes and general foolishness.

Today is shaping up to be rather odd, too, and it isn't even 10 a.m. There are several lists of things that have to be done which I carry around with me. The problem is that I forget about the list so don't manage to accomplish all the Vital And Important Things.

Since the Herd left a lot of mashed potatoes and some brocolli with cheese I am having that for breakfast. Added butter, cheddar cheese and tater topping to the mash, then heated it up in the mike. mmmmmm good! This bunch of goons have decided they don't like either cheddar/sour cream or garlic mashed potatoes anymore so I have to eat them catch as catch can.

Himself is going to be having on of Those Days today. He's driving out of a small elevator where he must load himself. That takes twice as long as if there is someone to do it and it makes him cranky. He hates wasting time pulling in, filling, backing up, filling, pulling ahead, filling then having to drive around, weigh and dump if he's over 80000 pounds then do it all again. The DOT fines a dollar a pound for overweight so he's really careful about it.

They've been out thick, too. The harvest is soon to start and they know that the farmers and elevators are rushing to get facilities cleared and cleaned*. They take advantage of that to weigh as many trucks as possible, do complete checks on them and then write a lot of tickets for a lot of money. I suppose that makes sense to them but it sure adds stress to the driver's lives.

Seem to be getting a sore throat, too. Nodes in neck all swollen. Don't feel sickly. Weird.

I think that huge bird that just circled over the house was a tern. A Very Large Tern, at that. I am not familiar with any native raptors that are white underneath and jet black on top although that bird was easily the size of a redtail. From the shape of the head, body and wingtips I *think* it was a tern. Maybe. If I knew where DS3 put the bird books I could look it up but they are MIA.

More tomatoes are ripening and the plants are still setting fruit. Am hoping that we have enough good weather to allow them all to get at least partially ripe. Need many, many more maters.

The yappy dogs are back at the neighbor's. And they are yapping. I don't care what kind of dog a person has but they need to be taught not to bark like brainless fools. It annoys the neighbors no end.

I think I will ignore politics for today. Have things that need to be done and I'm not in the mood for dumbassery.

When DS3 gets home this afternoon will have him go up into the attic and dig around to see if he can find the rest of the boxes of my Dad's "collections." I know there are more matchbooks, stamps and haven't even begun to deal with the cocktail napkins. I can't, for the life of me, figure out why he kept that stuff. Seems like sitting around looking at stamps through a magnifying glass is about as interesting as watching grass grow. (Or maybe less.)




* This is complicated by the fact that, once bins and elevators are clear, they must be thoroughly cleaned then inspected by state employees. That process can take up to 2 weeks so nobody is messing around.

No comments:


Stop the Spying!

About Me

A hobby cook from the Midwest. Experiments, thoughts, new recipes, maybe even a photo or two... You noticed the pouting little girl with the words superimposed over her face? Growing up in the 60s and 70s the refrain of "there are starving children in [insert current poverty-stricken nation] that would love to have such... etc etc etc." I don't know that anyone actually believed all that but the image of a starving foreign child, holding out a bowl in hopes of being gifted with boiled tongue or green tomato pie, was pretty powerful. I do recall the kind of trouble kids would inevitably be in if they dared to say what most of us thought: "Well, then, send this stuff right on over to those poor, starving [insert country] kids." I don't usually post other people's photos, just my own. If you want to borrow or use one of my photos, I would appreciate your asking first. I usually don't mind but do hate having my work attributed to someone else. By the way, I found the photo of that pouting girl on the web with no attribution. If it's yours? We'll deal, ok? Thanks.
Powered By Blogger