Friday, September 5, 2008

Another Friday

It got darned chilly last night. Late October temperature of 46 degrees at the beginning of September. This bodes ill for the rest of the season and, more especially, to the tomato crop.

I had intended to go to the farmer's market yesterday* but ran out of steam around 3 in the afternoon so didn't do it. (I still need a lot of tomatoes.) DD called after 4 yesterday and I was so sleepy that I was having trouble carrying on a coherent conversation. Kept making Freudian slips and using malapropisms. She probably thought I'd had a glass or two of wine when I hadn't. That, and my throat was (and is) dry from the blasted allergies and sinus infection. Ugh.

Don't know if I actually caught anything in my flea trap. This morning I discovered the dog drank the water out of the bowl. I don't know why she did that. She has water in her dish.

Due to my confessing I don't remember Grandie's birthdays, DD sent me the necessary information yesterday. Thanks, Once, they're on the calendar and it's backed up so I won't lose the information. I hope.

The chicken vesuvio turned out very, very well. Because of differences in sizes of the chicken in the recipe and the one I had I made some changes but it turned out great! A link to the recipe and how I handled the changes is here: Chicken Vesuvio

Because the air was so cold and the ground fairly warm, it was very foggy this morning. It's just started to clear up with the sun. Himself doesn't like starting out at 5:30 in the morning in fog. With deer, coons, possums and various other wildlife out right around sunrise, driving through the country is a dicey deal. So far, so good, though.

Keep promising myself I will call the Doc and get in for a scrip for this sinusitis. Then keep forgetting to do it. It's darned miserable, though. I hate having crap draining constantly, having to blow my nose, cough crap up and generally put up with a sensation akin to alkali burns in my face. For those of you fortunate enough to not get this kind of thing, more power to you. I had trouble with it as a kid but all through my young adult years it really didn't bother me much. Now it's getting out of hand but there is very little modern medicine can do about it without ruining my sense of smell. Maybe I'll talk to one of those "woo" guys about acupuncture. Not being a real believer in it, it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot.

The only problem there is about going to the doctor is the receptionist. One of the original Stepford Wives. She just gives me the creeps, all perky and smiley and empty-eyed.** Then there is the problem of her choice of music to play in the waiting room: country gospel. Mercy, spare me from the dreck. I love classical, jazz, rock, all kinds of things but every one of those c.g. "songs" sounds exactly alike to me. Just sets me nerves on edge. Will see if I can ask one of the nurses in confidence when the S.W. is not scheduled and see if I can get in then.

DS2 has been working out with a friend in the evenings. The friend is in the National Guard so he has to keep in shape. Poor DS2 has been aching and sore for days but, if he keeps it up, he'll get over that. He goes to work at 11am, gets off at 7:30 pm, changes clothes and goes to town. Comes back around 11 pm , checks his email and falls into bed until 10 the next morning. What a life.

A guy from my ISP is coming this morning at 9 to put a secondary antenna on the roof of the house. The neighbors have been talking for some months about getting wireless DSL and dropping their unreliable dialup from the local phone company. Now I guess they have decided to do it. It's odd because I get a really strong signal here but there is no place on their property that receives a signal. They're not that far east of us and a bit higher up so you'd think they would get a good one and I wouldn't. No go, though. This operation will boost my signal strength by about double and will really speed things up when they aren't using their portion of the signal. (I think they are putting it in for their oldest granddaughter who is returning to college this week. Weird.)

Somebody has laundry in so there won't be a shower for me this morning. Since it isn't warm and I haven't been getting sweaty or dirty that isn't a big deal. DS3 takes his at night after Himself and I go to bed, SS at 6:30 am, DS2 whenever he gets around to it. That leaves me with various times to get in. As long as someone isn't doing laundry, that is. Unlike our previous house, you don't get frozen out or scalded too badly if you're in the shower while someone is doing clothes but in the event someone decides to get in the shower downstairs while there is laundry in, you're screwed. It isn't so much of an issue this time of year but in January a freezing shower is not a good way to start the day.

Have a list of things that need to be done this weekend but the most important is getting my car fixed. Have the parts but still need tranny fluid so that's another trip to town. Yuck. Maybe I'll sneak in from the south and go to parts store just past the railroad overpass then right back out south. Traffic was so bad yesterday that I was wondering if there is anywhere in the U.S. where 4 out of 5 drivers aren't over 150 and drive 10 miles an hour under the speed limit. I have a hard time driving the speed limit, anyway, but to have to poke along at 15 mph in a 25 zone... that's just unbearable. I think people who are so compulsive they always drive at, or below, the speed limit should go talk to a psychiatrist about it. It's got to be some kind of psychosis.





* Uh, the farmer's market is today. duh
** I would be willing to be that she's gung-ho for that Palin creature, too. I think what really bothers me the most is the empty eyes. Ewwwwwwww.

No comments:


Stop the Spying!

About Me

A hobby cook from the Midwest. Experiments, thoughts, new recipes, maybe even a photo or two... You noticed the pouting little girl with the words superimposed over her face? Growing up in the 60s and 70s the refrain of "there are starving children in [insert current poverty-stricken nation] that would love to have such... etc etc etc." I don't know that anyone actually believed all that but the image of a starving foreign child, holding out a bowl in hopes of being gifted with boiled tongue or green tomato pie, was pretty powerful. I do recall the kind of trouble kids would inevitably be in if they dared to say what most of us thought: "Well, then, send this stuff right on over to those poor, starving [insert country] kids." I don't usually post other people's photos, just my own. If you want to borrow or use one of my photos, I would appreciate your asking first. I usually don't mind but do hate having my work attributed to someone else. By the way, I found the photo of that pouting girl on the web with no attribution. If it's yours? We'll deal, ok? Thanks.
Powered By Blogger