Thursday, August 7, 2008

I really, really hate those people

Annual freed credit reports, my rosy red ass.

The only one I could get, actually FREE, was Experian.

Transunion will not allow me to log on. Their system reports "too many attempts to log on." WHAT????? I hadn't been there for over a year and had not, in that time, logged on even once. So, to get my "free" credit report I must write them snailmail and pay the bastards for that "free" report.

Equifax is even worse. There are evidently no real people working there. There is no way to contact a living, breathing person over the phone. At least not that I could find after going through levels of voice recognition bullshit. When I finally managed to get an order in for my "free" report* they would charge me $11.00 for that FREE REPORT. WTF is wrong with this picture? So I am sending them a snailmail requesting my "free" annual report. Let's see how much "free" turns out with this bunch of jokers.

Wish me luck.

* The process goes like this: choose if you have been denied something in the last 60 days or not. No? Then on through layer after layer of "press or say whatever." Be careful, though, as you go through that process. You might be tempted to push the number 1 immediately. Don't. If you press 1 you will not only order your "free" report but also your FICA and Equifax numbers. This adds up to something like, oh, 25.00. (seems to me this is rather dishonest, actually. taking advantage of the weary button pusher to sell stuff.) If you just want your "free" report, press 3. If you are really really sure you don't want the other stuff (because they'll push it again via button 1,) don't press 2. Press THREE!
WTF happened to the mandated FREE REPORT?
I'm furious.

2 comments:

Eileen said...

my free credit report cost me $29.95. yeah. um, yeah.

dragonmom said...

I take it that they are allowed to charge "processing fees," "shipping and handling," and various "other" fees.

Yeah...


Stop the Spying!

About Me

A hobby cook from the Midwest. Experiments, thoughts, new recipes, maybe even a photo or two... You noticed the pouting little girl with the words superimposed over her face? Growing up in the 60s and 70s the refrain of "there are starving children in [insert current poverty-stricken nation] that would love to have such... etc etc etc." I don't know that anyone actually believed all that but the image of a starving foreign child, holding out a bowl in hopes of being gifted with boiled tongue or green tomato pie, was pretty powerful. I do recall the kind of trouble kids would inevitably be in if they dared to say what most of us thought: "Well, then, send this stuff right on over to those poor, starving [insert country] kids." I don't usually post other people's photos, just my own. If you want to borrow or use one of my photos, I would appreciate your asking first. I usually don't mind but do hate having my work attributed to someone else. By the way, I found the photo of that pouting girl on the web with no attribution. If it's yours? We'll deal, ok? Thanks.
Powered By Blogger